The St. Mary Visitor Center opened today! The Going-to-the-Sun Road will remain closed at the visitor center entrance due to continuing Going-to-the-Sun Road rehabilitation work until June 5th, when it opens to the St. Mary Campground. It is anticipated that the road will open to Rising Sun on June 19th, which is the earliest day that the road could open to Logan Pass. However, there is hiker / biker access during the long holiday weekend!
Sun Point -
7.7 miles east of Logan Pass on the Going To
The Sun Road.
A backpack from Jackson Glacier Overlook to Lake Ellen
Wilson, 10.9 miles; from Jackson
Glacier Overlook to Sperry Chalet, 13.6
miles; or from Jackson Glacier Overlook to Lake McDonald
3. Otokomi Lake - 5.5 miles - A day hike or short backpack from Rising Sun Motor Lodge to Otokomi Lake. This trail passes up Rose Creek along the Lewis thrust fault to a low-elevation cirque lake among blocky, reddish mountains.
4. Piegan Pass - 12.8 miles - A day hike from Siyeh Bend to Piegan Pass, 4.5 miles (7 km); or from Siyeh Bend to Many Glacier Hotel, 12.8 miles (20.5 km). Piegan Pass links the St. Mary drainage with the popular Many Glacier area.
5. Red Eagle Lake - 7.5 miles - A day hike or backpack from St. Mary Trailhead to Red Eagle Lake foot. Red Eagle Lake lies in a gentle, low-elevation valley that provides surprisingly scenic hiking to the few travelers that venture here.
6. Siyeh Pass - 10.3 miles - A day hike from Siyeh Bend to Siyeh Pass, 4.7 miles (7.5 km); or from Siyeh Bend to Sunrift Gorge exit, 10.3 miles (16.5 km). Siyeh Pass is a high elevation route that traverses two passes on its way ...
7. St. Mary and Virginia Falls - 2 miles - A half-day hike from Going-to-the-Sun Road to St. Mary Falls, 1.2 miles (2 km); or from Going-to-the-Sun Road to Virginia Falls, 1.8 miles (3 km). This trail is a short and pleasant stroll through sunny meadows, and forested trails. Following the creek from St Mary Falls to Virginia Falls.
- 1.4 mile loop
- The Trailhead is 7.7 miles east of Logan Pass along the
Going-to-the-Sun Road at the southeast corner of Sun Point parking
area. Follow the Sun Point Nature Trail.